Friday, October 24, 2008

technique

A funny thing happened to me on Wednesday night...but first I have to give you some back ground.
I grew up loving music and I was blessed enough to go to a high school that had a good music program. I didn't always like Al (my choir director) but he challenged us and that is what I liked most. I certainly would never ever chose to go back to high school but there is ONE thing I miss, being challenged musically. I loved working my butt off on a challenging piece of music! I loved getting every minor detail perfect which was something Al focused on for All-State tryouts and in his top choir which I was part of. The harder the music, the more reward I got out of my hard work. As an adult, who sings Bach? Certainly not me. I miss it! However, on Wednesday night, Chris, a guy at my church who is leading our Christmas choir, introduced us to our music for the first time. It's not Bach but it's closer than most stuff we sing on a weekly basis. I found myself falling back into my old technique habits. Making sure my posture was good, my breathing was correct, my vowels formed properly. I was paying attention to phrasing, dynamics, and all those minor details. I haven't dealt with these details in around 9 years and it all came flooding back to me. Al should be proud! :)
I think I'm going to like choir this Christmas!

3 comments:

The Hazeletts said...

where do you go to chuch?, I can't remember....

Rachel Shaffer said...

I go to Burlington First Church of the Nazarene. Its the gray stone building on the south side of town off of HWY 61.

Donnie Miller said...

Yes, Al would be proud.
GEHS has an amazing football program and a pretty mediocre vocal music program, which is obviously the exact opposite during our days at FMHS. But I'm glad for it. My experience in the FMHS vocal department has opened up so many other opportunities and music appreciation in my life.