Monday, September 22, 2008

proud of me

I heard the words I used to long to hear as I was growing up, "I'm proud of you" from my dad yesterday. Growing up, I was interested in things my dad could have cared less about and personality-wise we are polar opposites. Needless to say, we weren't close. I was the rebel child where as my brother knew he wanted to be a preacher at 15 and was very easy to be proud of. I rarely, if ever, heard that he was proud of me.
I had just led a choir practice at church yesterday afternoon and as we were walking out Dad put his arm on my back and said I had done a good job and he was proud of me. He said I reminded him of himself when he had led choir. I know he's really trying and I have forgiven him for his shortcomings when I was growing up, but those words still touch that little girl in me that used to long to hear those words. It felt good to hear.

No comments: