Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My weight

I am not going to post my weight on my very public blog but I am going to talk about it. I need to lose weight. I have for a long time. I have never been able to and now my parents have offered some incentives to help me and give me an extra boost of motivation during tough times.
I have a hard time not being bitter sometimes about my weight. I was "tested" for PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) when I was 15. Back then, all they did was do an ultrasound to check and see if your ovaries we covered in cysts. Mine weren't so they said I didn't have it. They also tested me for thyroid problems. When my thyroid test came back it was fine but my insulin levels were high. Right then and there I should have been tested for insulin resistance, a condition that causes weight loss and PCOS, and a whole host of problems.
Needless to say I gained weight over the next 9 years like it was nobodies business. Finally, after being on my millionth diet and gaining 5 pounds I decided I needed to go to the doctor. Gasp, I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance. This also explained the hell CJ and I had been going through trying to have a baby and coming up empty for years. I found out from this doctor how insulin resistance causes your body to store fat and never burn it. Thus the body has no energy but tons of fat layers. If I had been diagnosed back when I was 15, I would be at least 100 lbs lighter and probably have more children.
However, I have to deal with the here and now. I am what weight I am and I have to go from here. I'm setting a goal to lose 50 lbs over the next year. That's about 1 lb a week which is what Drs. tend to recommend. I hope that having accountablity and the incentives my parents are offering will help me do what I've never been able to do... Get to a healthy weight.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

If you are ever up for walking and need a walking partner, let me know. I love to walk, but don't do it because it is never any fun alone. I have tried to lose some weight myself and got down 10 pounds and then gave up. Ran into stress and stopped. It would be nice to even get a group of people together who would like to walk together even if it were only once a week. Good luck!!