Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Sunday School Class

Our new Sunday School class just started Sunday. We only had one family show but I think next week there will probably be at least three more. I had two families that had signed up and just forgot it started this week and another woman talked to me about trying it out. I think it's going to be a good group to start with. Definitely a variety.

I soooo want this group to be different than just your typical SS class. I want us to be tight so we can help each other through some crap we are or will be going through. Then, through our closeness, I want us to reach out to others in our community. I really hope service projects, charity work, etc will be a regular activity for us. The first one I've thought of is to find some elderly shut ins or almost shut-ins and do yard work this fall when all the leaves are falling and lawns typically need a lot of work.

Inside the church I see us being leaders too. There is a lot of talk in our church, (as in most churches) about what's wrong, what needs to change and how we aren't as effective as we should be. I envision our class as those that will start doing things that need done to make our church what it can be. I'm hoping if we, as a group, get passionate about reaching out to our community in effective and new ways that it will catch on in the church. I see alot of potential but a lot of apathy in our church and I think we just need to be reminded to be like Jesus. Not to have Jesus feed me, revive my spirits, serve my needs. But to feed others, revive others' spirits, serve others' needs.
This area of Iowa has a lot of low income families. We have a lot of opportunities to serve them. But we can't expect them to come to us. We have to go to them and meet them where there at.

One very important dream I have it a ministry call "Angel Food Ministries" It was everywhere in KC where we moved from. Here? The closest one is in IL about 2 hrs away. Angel Food is a program where anyone can order a box of food valued at about $60-$70 for $30. That's a big deal for people struggling to make ends meet. There's no income requirement, no limit to # of boxes. This could be a great way to serve the people in our community with no strings attached. Plus, as an added bonus, for every box the church sells, the ministry donates $1 to the church's benevolence fund. (the fund the churches uses to help those in need) So we'd have a bigger fund to help more people.

I have a lot of ideas that I hope to start with this group. I know we won't be able (or willing for that matter) to do it all by ourselves. But maybe, just maybe, we can show the church what we believe Jesus would have us doing and they'll want to join in.

2 comments:

"Vman" said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
"Vman" said...

don't get frustrated. Sometimes the numbers are not what we expected...