Friday, August 8, 2008

parented again

I am so grateful that my parents are generous, giving people. But sometimes it is hard when I feel "parented" by them again. I was one of those teenagers that didn't want told what to do anyway, so to have it still done as an adult is really, really tough to take.
My parents have been incredibly generous since we've moved back. They've helped us a lot, even financially some. So my main struggle is I feel I can't talk to them about their comments because in a way they are "parenting" me again. Ya know, as a teen I never completely understood why their comments galled me so much and as an adult I haven't had to deal with comments so it wasn't an issue. It's a little disheartening to see me react in the same way to comments that are meant to help or guide. But my strong willed, rebellious spirit rears it ugly head every single time. I have to bite my tongue every time they say something. Is it me that's wrong to react that way or should they stop "parenting" me even as they help us occasionally.

No comments: